Friday, February 12, 2010

Feel Good Fridays 2

Today was Friday. And I had said last week that I was going to designate them as Feel Good Fridays. The only problem was that I didn't actually feel good today.

This was a hard day for me. It wasn't any one thing - more like the culmination of a lot of little things piling up. My husband has been out of town for the last few days and frankly, I'm tired. I've also been incubating some sort of slow growing viral sore throat thing and today it was really bothering me; even my ears were feeling stopped up.



Anyway I just felt all day like I hadn't gotten anything accomplished. I had all of these things that I wanted to get done and I kept feeling like I wasn't getting enough of them completed. And because of that I spent a good portion of today beating myself up about it.


Until I stopped and made myself think about and tally up all the things I actually DID accomplish today. By 3pm today I had done: 4 loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, done the dishes, rearranged the entire living room, moved several things around in the dining room, and wrote 2 articles. All the while dealing with 2 kids under the age of three, making homemade Stromboli for dinner and getting the 12 year old to his first Valentines Day dance. I don't think that is too bad. In fact, after looking at it, I think I got a lot accomplished. Now, it is true that I didn't get to any of my crafty things today, nor did I get to hang the curtains in the dining room. But that is okay.

I am giving myself a break.

I'm tired of looking at myself and only seeing what I didn't do; what I lack, where I fell short. Because I gotta tell you - I got more accomplished than I didn't. And it's about damn time I acknowledged that. So that is what I'm doing tonight. A virtual pat on the back to myself through my blog. Good job Kathleen.

Now that both of the wee small people are asleep - I'm going to go relax for a bit. Before we get up and do it all again tomorrow.

What sorts of things are you guys overdue to hear some praise for - your virtual pat on the back? Let's hear it and acknowledge ourselves. We have to be our biggest fans too rather than always our loudest critic. So tell me ladies - let's hear the good stuff in comments. 

1 comment:

  1. This post made me laugh and nod my head furiously while saying, "Yep, that's me." The bacterial infection that kicked me on my butt for almost 3 weeks has me SO BEHIND. You see, when Mom is sick, Dad is lucky to get the kids fed something halfway decent, clothes matched, teeth brushed and off to school on time. If he had to do my "job" to the fullest for even one day, I think he would have a nervous breakdown. So, needless to say, the housekeeping was NILL until I felt better. I wanted to go back to bed for a week when I reentered the land of the living and saw the state of my house. So, it's still not perfect yet, and I'm not crafting or creating nearly as much as I want to be, but I have done the following this week:
    1) Did at least 10 loads of laundry
    2) Took all the ski gear to the dry cleaners for our trip Friday.
    3) Cleaned the kitchen, which eliminated the really funky smell that was permeating the house (gross, I know!)
    4) Mopped all the floors, which further helped with the mysterious "odor"
    5) Managed to get fully dressed this morning AND fix my hair AND put on a little mascara and lip gloss (huge accomplishment; I've looked like death warmed over for the last 3 weeks!)

    Okay, so I'm giving myself my virtual pat on the back too, instead of beating myself up for being a slacker!

    ReplyDelete